Sweet Refrigerator Pickles


Recently I found myself in one of those moods where I wanted some homemade pickles.  Ever get into one of those moods?  Not necessarily for pickles, but when you just have a craving for something awesome from your childhood?  My grandmother used to make refrigerator pickles every summer.  There were a few certain things I could always count on being in her fridge and homemade pickles was one of them.  Sadly I don't have her recipe, but after a bit of experimenting I think this one comes close.



Ingredients
3 large cucumbers (or equivalent amount of smaller ones if you're not a fan of seeds)
1 medium onion
2 celery stalks
coarse ground salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp dill

Slice the cucumbers, onion, and celery in 3/4 inch slices.  Toss liberally in your favorite kind of coarsely ground salt (sea, kosher, whatever), and leave them in a colander for 30, re-tossing occasionally.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. 

Pack the veggies into an airtight jar or other container and pour the pickling liquid over the top until your container is full.

The pickles (and bonus pickled onion and celery) will be ready after 8 hours, but they will only get better after that.  You can keep them for up to 2 weeks in your fridge.

Now that I've conquered sweet pickles I am on the hunt for a dill recipe so stay tuned for that one in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails